Free Fishing Day!

We woke up early to head out to the Salmon River Fish Hatchery for Free Fishing Day and it was SOOO worth it.

We were told that many people get there early –we arrived for the 8am-12pm event at around 7:45.  The parking was already down the street, and the fishing pond was lined with dads and grandfathers – and a few kids. 🙂

We set up a spot – making room by spreading out two lawn chairs – where the rising sun would be on our backs. We checked in at the Pre-Registration booth – and received a coupon for a free Hotdog/Chips and Soda plus a coupon for a free entry to the community Center for the pool and basketball court.  So – right off the bat – it was looking to be a good day.  Blue Sky – Warm Breeze. Oh Ya.

The excitement really started when the call of 8 a.m. rang out – and all the lures were cast into the water.  The little tiny gal next to us hooked a 23 and a half inch trout on her first cast.  It was half of her size! The boys have obtained enough skill that I got to sit back and watch, while they brought in fish after fish.  By 8:30 we had landed  8 large trout – and I asked the boys to slow it down – our limit was 10.  We wanted to stay until noon for all of the prizes – so they wandered around the lake helping other little kids who came with tired frustrated non fisherman moms.  We were putting on hooks, setting worms, bringing in trout, pulling out hooks with our pliers, untangling line – having the time of our lives!  Got alot of compliments on how much we knew about fishing – which made me giggle – because just a couple of years ago – I was the mom walking away with tears so I wouldn’t scream at the boys for tangling one more time. :)  Helps to have that experience for a larger measure of grace on others!

Every 30-45 minutes the volunteers would walk around calling a name or two for a prize drawing – Nathan won a Fishing Pole with the Works and Jonathan won a $25.00 gift cart to Columbia Outfitters.  It wasn’t a pull names til ya win type of deal – so we feel VERY lucky.

We also won the prize of Smallest Fish – 10.5 inches. :)  We were tied for smallest and won another fishing pole with the works.  The little gal next to us ended up winning Largest Fish – and she won the same prize.

I got to fish at noon – but the fish really weren’t biting – so we came on home around 12:30.    We came home with 9 large trout and one small one – we feel very fortunate to have gotten a good biting spot – as many other children only caught 1 fish the whole morning.  Very thankful in deed.

Here are some photos for ya!

Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing DayUnschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing DayUnschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day   Unschool Free Fishing Day  Unschool Free Fishing DayUnschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day  Unschool Free Fishing Day Unschool Free Fishing Day

Fun Fun Fun all the way around.  We will definitely have it in the plan for next year!

A big thank you to all of the sponsors of the Free Fishing Day and

the Prizes at the Salmon River Fish Hatchery!!!!

About +Angie Wright

The Transparent Thoughts of an Unschooling Family of Boys - Answering the question - What DO you DO all day?

17 Responses to Free Fishing Day!

1. Pingback: Fish Hatchery–Virtual Field Trip | Petra School

2. Pingback: Local Celebrities in my House!! « Petra School

3. Shannon says:

How fun!! The boys are growing so fast!! I love seeing all the changes and keeping in touch…miss ya lots…my friend!!

4. Just “walking” by to wave hello! I’m new to the crew this year and I’m so happy to meet you!

5. renita says:

Just to prove that my girls are girly, they gagged when they saw the fish getting cut up! roflol

6. Abbie says:

How fun! Do you guys live in Oregon? We do 😉 I’m excited to be on the crew this year.

7. Wendy says:

It sounds (and looks like) you and your family had such a great day! I’m not much of a fisherman, but my kids go occasionally with their dad or their grandfather. 🙂 I’ll just eat ’em after they catch and clean them!

I enjoyed visiting your blog and want to welcome you to the Crew. I hope you have a great Crew year!

Blessings,

FM Wendy

8. alecat says:

Oh, I WISH! we had days like that here. That would be wonderful.
    It looks like you all had a heap of fun, and learning some fabulous skills at the same time. 🙂
    Catherine, Australia (aka alecat) .. via TOS Crew

9. Angela says:

This looks like so much fun! Glad to meet a fellow crew member.

Angela Richter

10. corine says:

Aww… Kids are SO WONDERFUL! If everyone were so good at fogetting our shortcomings… never rubbing the past in, and always looking forward to the future with thankfulness ~ oh how beautiful the world would be! Kids are a piece of heaven. 🙂

I hope you take them to the lake early a zillion times more! I hope I do, too! Mine are youth now (not little children) and I wish we had gone fishing regularly when they were little… but we did do other things, so I suppose it is OK! ;D

Take care and enjoy building beautiful memories.
    Corine

11. Penny says:

Looks like a FUN day (except for cleaning/dressing the fish – ugh – *grin*)!

Welcome to the Crew!

Penny

12. Corine says:

Cool! I wanted to take my kids to free fishing day here where we lived but wasn’t able to; It really bummed me. I’m so happy for you that things went so well for your family today, especially after having all that frustration with tangled lines etc in the past; it’s comforting to see that things do improve!

Happy day! 😀
    Coirne

• pebblekeeper says:

Thanks Coirne! The boys commented alot on the cranky yelling mom and dads – and I sat with a smug smile on my face, wondering when they would add the phrase, “like you used to”, but the didn’t. They just kept thanking me over and over for heading out so early to fish. I think I might get them up early more often to fish in the lake. 🙂

I love to hear from my readers, I appreciate comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s