Blood Sucking Zombie Minions – and their Dog/Dragon.

Mosquito Life Stage

This is the story – of a cute little Larva that was scooped away from its home 24 hours after birth and brought to Petra School.  It was forced to live in a jar – and receive names like Move-ey and Jumpie and Wiggles.

Mosquito Life Stage

All was happy and cute for almost 7 days until he molted  after the 3rd phase of Instar  – when during the 4th molt -  he  turned into Evil Zombie Minion Mosquito Larva – There was only one thing left to do –

Mosquito Life Stage

Become a Pupa Evil Mosquito Zombie Guardian.  Defender of the Jar.

(Its only a four day temp job.)

Mosquito Life Stage

Suddenly – Before our eyes – The Defender of the Jar Magically transformed into  – The Evil Zombie Queen.

Mosquito Life Stage

After escaping the Jar – and flying to the window for a quick get away – (He was Captured by Little Brother – Photographed by the Gorgeously talented super mom – hey the story teller left the room and the typer takes liberties) and after an attempt on Little Brother’s Life through his thumb – the Thumb Won.

End of Story. 🙂

Mosquito Life Stage

OH – There’s More! I forgot about the Dog Evil Mosquito Six Legged Dragon Dog that they brought in as a pet.  I’ll have to ask Nate What happened to the dog.  Do we keep it????? “Yes, he is your loyal pet, and when you want to call him you call abba yabba bamma scumma – and it jumps up & eats the flying Queen.” (Mom rolls eyes)

____________________________________________________________________

“Wait – You can’t tell a story about an Evil Minions on my Christian Homeschool Blog Nate!!!! “ – “But mom – They are evil. They want to suck our blood and spread disease.”  “Point taken”, says mom.  “But can’t I post the cool photos I took?” “Sure”

____________________________________________________________________

Handbook of Nature Study Summer Mosquito

Little Cute Larva in the jar. They wiggle so CUTE!

one day old mosquito larva

The little one day Larva are SOOOO tiny and cute!!!

Larva Mosquito

They look at us and smile. They wiggle and squirm.
We call them cute names like Wiggles and Jumpy and Movie. 🙂

Older Larva Pupa Molt Mosquito

One by one they molted over and over – growing – and turning into Pupa.  These little Tumblers look and move like little tadpoles. So CUTE!!! (not zombie like at all)

Molt Mosquito

Molt on the water.

Mosquito Pupa

The Pupa almost ready to turn into

Just Hatched Mosquito from Pupa

Oh No – He’s Right! It does turn on us ~!  All the coddling in the world (or at least for a couple of days) did not change – Still turned out to be a blood sucking mosquito zombie queen.  Sigh.

Mosquito Study Sketch

I learned all their names and growth stages and how to kill them with drops of oil or kerosene – and I learned that they are drawn to stinky  feet and “body humidity”.  Isn’t that a nice phrase for Sweaty Stinky Boys? – But more importantly – I, Like Mike Row – Confirmed what I already knew. “I don’t like them”.

But they’re Cute Right? Little Sea Monkeys?  Oh alright.

Evil Blood Sucking Zombies it is.

This is the result of a challenge – to get out doors for an hour a week with the kiddos – with intended focus – on Nature.  Guided by our friendly author Anna Comstock and the Handbook of Nature – and – FORCED to study YUCKY things (which are amazing by the way) by the site – Handbook of Nature Study.

You too could have a wild and crazy ride this summer!

Join us?

Summer Challenge # 1 – Smell – Senses – Mosquito

image

About +Angie Wright

The Transparent Thoughts of an Unschooling Family of Boys - Answering the question - What DO you DO all day?
This entry was posted in Some Schooling and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Blood Sucking Zombie Minions – and their Dog/Dragon.

1. Pingback: Zombies – One year later | Petra School

2. Pingback: Angie of Pebble Keeper « Because Mom Said

3. Pingback: Mini Challenge #3 Language & Drawing | Petra School

4. Jennifer says:

This is awesome, thank you so much for sharing this!

5. Jamie says:

Wonderfully creepy drawings and photos! 🙂

6. Phyllis says:

Wonderful nature study and a wonderful read. I love your amazing photos. Bravo!

7. Julie says:

Very cool, indeed. We enjoyed this study as well, however we dumped our larvae before they grew anymore…my boys just weren’t that keen on growing a mosquito lol. Great photos and story.

8. Alex says:

great nature study! We chose not to go and get a jar of pond water, but it does look like a great study!

9. Pingback: Not for the Faint of Heart – Zombie Death by Fire Grenade. « Petra School

10. Kelsey says:

Fabulous study!! The blood sucking zombies is the only reason I’m hesitating to collect some mosquito eggs for ourselves! I’m not sure if your study is going to encourage or hinder me!

• pebblekeeper says:

I do hope it encourages you! A friend brought over a scoop of water for us – so we didn’t even do that part – and We had a simple post about watching the jar until Nathan narrated his story and spiced things up. 🙂 The greatest part of the Nature Challenge is to just “see” something you normally wouldn’t observe. 🙂 We learned so much about the mosquito – something we touch almost every day – and knew nothing about. 🙂
      Maybe the disclaimer needs posted – something like – no boys were harmed in the raising of the zombies – or something like that. 🙂

11. Jennifer says:

What a great study. I hope you squished them all as they turned into the blood-sucking monsters (typed as I itch a mosquito bite on my arm!)

12. Jenni says:

Wow, I just love your zombies! Never really thought of mosquito larvae as cute before! So glad the Thumb prevailed!

~Jenni, New Crewbie

13. Apryl says:

Ok, VERY cool photos! And what a great ‘graphic novel’….reminds me a little of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!
    – Just Walking through from TOS Crew.

14. Gold Star…let me see if I have any gold star stickers left around here somewhere. 🙂

Excellent study and your photos are amazing. Love everything about your post and I am so honored to have you as part of our OHC community.

You set the bar pretty high with this one. Thanks for sharing your link.

15. Suzette says:

Hi! Just stopping by from the TOS crew forum. THis was HILARIOUS the way you did it and wrote about it (especially the drawings). I wish I were that creative. I look forward to your reviews.

16. jlsgrant says:

Love the story and, of course, the illustrations are fabulous! I’m new to the Crew and out for my morning walk!

17. Stacy says:

I came to visit from the TOS Blog Walk. Love the mosquito study. Look forward to reading more on your blog.

18. Lynn says:

WOW.. You are braver than me. We did a study on Mosquitoes last year but never would have the hatch in my house 🙂 Great job! Love the drawings.. Stopped by from the TOS Crew. Looking forward to getting to know you this year.

19. Suzanne says:

I loved reading the story and seeing the cool, I mean disgusting, larva photos. Wish I was as cool a mom as you are! But thanks for sharing your coolness with the rest of us – gives me some ideas to ponder….

• pebblekeeper says:

Hi Suzanne! I was telling hubby about our story and the surprise of the boys that I printed the Zombie Minion version – and he said he understood the boys – “Have you ever stood on the dock at dusk fishing with them trying to attack you? They are pure evil and mindless all at the same time.” They have been fishing alot at dusk, and I’ve been sending them out side to smell and listen – um – cause Barb told us to. 🙂 Not my fault. 🙂 I’m not cool – Just a willing mindless follower – maybe a zombie myself. 🙂 Barb Rocks!

20. Amanda says:

Where did you get your larve? AWESOME pics and sketches! So jealous of all your mom coolness!

• pebblekeeper says:

I asked a friend here in town if she knew where any stagnant water was, our water moves so much here. She said she was taking care of a property that had barrels of it – and then the next day she showed up at the house with the jar. It was SOOOO cool. I mean disgusting. 🙂

21. Melissa says:

lol, and here I thought they were attracted to me because I was sweet no because of my stinky feet!

Loved this study!

22. Alexis says:

Yeah, you almost had me convinced to try this book, until my leg started itching from an evil zombee minion bite.

23. Rachel says:

Passing through on the TOS blog walk. What a great post and I agree, the typer should be allowed to add anything she wants.

24. Makita says:

What a fabulous study! 😀

25. Wow! You really got a jump on that study! We better get a move on. I haven’t even found mosquito larvae yet. I’m behind, very behind…Oh, the story, with the drawings? Loved it!

• pebblekeeper says:

Thanks! Gotta Have Fun and Relax this summer. 🙂 And – I like getting the studies done during the week, and posting on Friday. 🙂 (Do I get a gold star Barb? Huh? Pleaaasseee)

I love to hear from my readers, I appreciate comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s