If you go to the Learn Our History Website you might miss all that they have to offer. I’m sure the website will be updated in time, but for now the links are at the bottom of the page.
There you may find –
- A list of the DVD titles available
- Questions regarding their History Series and
- Learn about the TimeCycle Academy Video Series
How the DVD Program Works From the Publisher:
We currently offer “The Birth of A Revolution” DVD as a special introduction to the Learn Our History series. The title can be purchased for $9.95, plus $3.95 shipping and handling. Along with the DVD, we send four free gifts, including a Learn Our History DVD storage case, a shoulder sack, a pair of binoculars and a Learn Our History sticker set.
Then, about once a month, we let our customers know when their next DVD is ready to ship. As a convenience, we choose the next DVD to ship to the customer. Each subsequent DVD costs just $11.95, plus $3.95 shipping and handling. We always notify customers at least 10 days prior to the shipment so they know it’s about to ship. During that time, the customer has the option to skip the shipment or cancel from the series, both of which are easily done by contacting our 24/7 customer service department.
Once again, there is no obligation to purchase any DVD and customers can cancel from the series at any time. Furthermore, we offer a satisfaction money-back guarantee with each and every video we sell. If a customer is dissatisfied with a video, they may return it to us with 30 days for a full refund of the purchase price.
When a customer is shipped a new DVD title, we provide the ability to stream the title directly from within the customer’s account on the LearnOurHistory.com web site. This convenience allows the customer to view our videos from any device, such as a computer, iPad, iPod, etc. without the need to copy and convert the DVD.
The above banner shows reasons the publishers says parents love the DVD’s.
In all honesty, historical content aside – our family really did not enjoy the DVD’s.
Reasons Petra School Parents did not Love “Learn Our History”
- The opening line from the main character: “To learn the truth about the past, what we see and hear isn’t always the same as what we read in books or see on tv, but we know the truth and that’s good enough for us.” The DVD creators assume that the children watching these videos do not have access to historically correct books or videos. I do believe that we, Petra School, have access to historically correct accounts of America’s past.
- The music is amazing but it overpowers the poor voices and graphics of the cartoon characters.
- The voices seem to be of Adults trying to portray student stereotypes. My son said it sounded like they had never been around teens, and tried to create personalities that he has not seen in existence.
- The smartest boy of the group is portrayed as some sort of 1980’s Nerd or Geek with a high feminine voice. My sons said he sounded like a “gay geek”. The interaction of the kids is awful, and if my boys were to learn history from peers, these would not be the peers they would want to hang out with. You can read the company’s Bio’s for the History Team here, and just reading the bios will tell you how the story line goes with these teens. Meet the Time Travelers Link
You may go to their website to see a few clips of the shows to see the quality of the videos: http://learnourhistory.com/
My boys are are strong, smart and witty. They enjoy doing things that are good – active and fun. They do not fight, as siblings they get along, and their parents are involved in their days. Just sayin’. I’m not sure marketing to this to the Homeschool Crowd is a good idea.
We received access to two online videos, and received a DVD in the mail – to review as part of The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew. One of the great things about the Crew, is the combination of several types of families – Just because we were offended by the children, that might speak that we are too conservative for the masses – please go and read my crew mate reviews before deciding on the company based on my negative review. Also – this is a new company – I look forward to seeing if they take our reviews to heart and make changes to the characters to allow for growth. – Crew Blog Reviews
Oh – and as a side note, we received the DVD in the mail in a flat container, thicker than Netflix, hardish like cardboard. It was tossed into the junk mail garbage container when the family was cleaning the home. I have heard from my fellow crew mates, that embarrassingly, this happened to quite a few of them. Please, if you order this product, look for it in the mail, and then keep it away from the bulk mail!